Installation Getting Updates Scanning
- Once you have downloaded adaware, open up the file you downloaded. You will probably see this screen. Just click on Next.
- On the next screen just put a check mark in I accept the license agreement and click Next.
- If you already have Adaware installed you may be prompted with this screen. If so just select Yes, uninstall previous version of Ad-Aware and click Next, then click Next again on the next screen.
- Just click on Next again.
- If you recieve this screen, just leave the dot in Anyone who uses this computer and click Next.
- Just click on Next again to begin the installation.
- The program should now start installing. It may take a few minutes depending on the speed of your computer.
- After the installation is finished you should see the screen below. Take the check mark out of Open the help file now and click Finish.
- Adware will now automatically update it’s definition files and perform a scan. See the Scanning section below for what to do once the scan is finished. Also, you will now have an Ad-Aware SE Personal icon on your desktop (like the one below) which you can open up any time to run Ad-Aware.
- From Ad-Aware’s main screen, click on Check for updates now.
- Make sure you are connected to the internet (if on dialup) then click the Connect button.
- You will get a screen like the one below if there is an update, other wise it will say “No updated components available”. Either way just click the OK button.
- If there is an update it may take a few minutes to download. Once it is done just click the Finish button.
- Ad-Aware should now be up-to-date and you should be back at the main screen.
- Ad-Aware will not scan your pc automatically every day/week like an antivirus program might. You have to manually run the scan yourself each time. You should do a scan every week or two to ensure your pc is running efficiently. To start a scan, from Ad-Aware’s main screen click on the Start button.
- Here you want to make sure the dot is on Perform full system scan and click the Next button. The smart system scan is quite a bit faster than the full system scan, but it is not as thorough so it may miss some spyware.
- The scan will now begin. It will take anywhere from 2 – 30 minutes depending on the speed of your computer and how many files are on the hard drive. The scan will look something like this:
- Once the scan is complete the Cancel button will change to a Next button, and there will be a flashing picture of a bug. Just click the Next button.
- Here all the spyware that was found will be listed. Ad-Aware will only remove the spyware that we place a check mark beside. You can either check them all off one by one, or the much faster way is to right click on any of the items in the result window and click on Select All Objects. This will place a check mark beside each piece of spyware. Since all spyware is bad (just like viruses) we want to remove all of them, so we will want them all checked.
- Now that all the items have a check mark beside them, just click on the Next button.
- A confirmation window will pop up. Just click OK on it.
- You should now be back on the main screen. You can go ahead an just close out of Ad-Aware by clicking on the X on the top right corner.